Emotional stress is a challenge faced by many family caregivers. As a caregiver, it is important to give yourself time to reset when starting to feel burnt out.
When symptoms of stress start to feel overwhelming, it may be time to see your physician. Here are some guidelines to help you decide.
- Apathy, lack of energy
- Difficulty making decisions
- Difficulty “keeping track” of things
- Feeling on edge
- A change in eating habits
- Sleeping more than usual or difficulty getting to sleep
- Being more emotional
- Using alcohol or drugs to relieve or forget stress
- Chronic back pain
- Tension headaches
- Neck pain
- Gastrointestinal problems (pain, diarrhea)